Rev. Luke Dorland and his wife, Juliette, arrived in Hot Springs in 1886 to rest. Rev. Dorland, age 71, had already given 39 years to the Presbyterian Church as a pastor and an educator. However, Hot Springs had no school. So when the people of Hot Springs learned that the Dorlands were teachers and appealed to Luke and Juliette to educate their children, the Dorlands did not refuse. School in Hot Springs began with 25 children in the Dorland‘s dining room. The next year, with more children wanting to attend, the Dorlands built a two–story school in back of their house for 60 students. By 1890, the school was crowded with over 100 children from 6 to 19 years old, some walking 2 to 6 miles. Since many students lived too far away to walk, Mrs. Dorland made space to board some girls in her home. In 1893, Rev. Dorland appealed to the Presbyterian Mission Board and the Board took over the Hot Springs school. Construction began on a new, five–story building to be a girls‘ dormitory and extra classrooms with a new name: Dorland Institute. The institute grew with a boys‘ dormitory and farm and additional buildings, including a new schoolhouse, Phillips Hall. In 1918, The Bell Institute from Walnut merged with Dorland to become Dorland–Bell School. The school continued until 1942 when it transferred to the Asheville Farm School, today known as Warren Wilson College. Dorland Memorial Presbyterian Church was built across the street from the Dorland Institute in 1900, three years after the death of Luke Dorland. J.H. Rumbough donated the land. Architect Richard Sharp Smith, who worked on the Biltmore Estate, finalized the church plans. This church still stands in town today. While boys attended the Dorland Institute from its beginning, a boys‘ home, called the Willows, was acquired in 1900. This 10–room brick home, formerly a drovers‘ inn, was a 2–mile walk up the railroad tracks to school. Most of the 32 "boys" were 14 to 25 years old. The grand girls‘ dormitory housed 60 girls and included a kitchen, dining room, laundry, library, parlor, and two classrooms. It was completed in 1894. Learning INdustry and Thrift At this industrial school, Dorland students combined work with study. Both boys and girls were responsible for cooking, cleaning, and washing their own clothes. They also chopped wood, cared for the grounds and gardened— all practical skills needed for adult life. They learned to do their tasks with efficiency and thrift. At the boys‘ farm, young men practiced modern farming techniques and skills. The boys raised corn, potatoes, oats, and vegetables, cut firewood, and built a fruit house, hen house, smokehouse, a new barn and a silo. They even canned their produce. Practice cottages were started in 1910 as a place for 6 to 10 girls to "learn by doing." They bought groceries and supplies, prepared meals, and kept the cottage clean. For a few years, the school had its own ferryboat donated by Northern Presbyterians. The boys used the ferry to cross the French Broad River to and from the Willows. Monthly socials with the girls included picnics at the Willows. These boys are preparing picnic food to entertain the girls.